Plant a seed and watch it grow!


Kids love to play in the dirt! So why not channel that hobby into something positive. While working in a garden a child can experience the satisfaction that comes from caring for something over time, while observing the cycle of life firsthand. It's fun and educational at the same time. You can plant flowers, vegetables, or just decorative plants.

I'm not much of a garden person but my girls love dirt, so after much research, (on way tooo many gardening websites..lol) I've compiled a list of six crops which are relatively easy to grow, have short growing seasons, and are fun to harvest, when planting with children.


1. Sunflowers (my favourite!)
2. Cherry Tomatoes
3. Lettuce
4. Carrots
5. Potatoes
6. Pumpkins

What I've learnt about gardening with kids:

Give them real tools, Forget those cheap plastic ones - they're pretty but they don't get the job done well.

Start from seeds. Sure its easier to just buy seedlings, but they learn much more about the growing process if they begin from inception. And make sure you keep them engaged through the entire process. 

Cheat a little. According to how young they are you may need to help out 'behind the scenes' a little. Pick out bugs, till the soil, or water the plants if they're falling behind.

Hope this gives you some inspiration. Happy planting!




Comments

  1. Ooh...I love sunflowers too! Didn't even think about planting with the kids. I'm going to do this myself....lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment